Need Help?

Need help with an existing system?

View Manuals

Could you get a free boiler? Information on the Energy Company Obligation

Share this article:

You might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you're on certain benefits and own or privately rent your home.

You may get all or part of the cost of:

  • loft or cavity wall insulation
  • boiler repairs or replacements


You must own your property or rent it privately and have the owner's permission to do the work.

You must also get one of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (and your income is £15,860 or less)
  • Working Tax Credit (and your income is £15,860 or less) - plus one of the extra conditions below
  • Income Support - plus one of the extra conditions below
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance - plus one of the extra conditions below
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance - plus the support or work related element, or one of the extra conditions below

Extra conditions

For certain benefits, one of the following must also apply:

  • you're responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they're in education or training)
  • you get Disabled Child Premium
  • you get Disability Premium
  • you get Pensioner Premium
  • you're 60 or over (only if you get Working Tax Credit)

How to apply

Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service to find out what help you can get.

Energy Saving Advice Service 
Telephone: 0300 123 1234
Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm
Saturday, 10am to 2pm
Find out about call charges

Complain about improvements made to your home

Contact the company who carried out the work. You can contact your local Trading Standards office if you're not happy with the response - they can investigate further.

Contact Citizens Advice Bureau's consumer helpline if your problem is still not dealt with. The telephone number is 08454 04 05 06.

Your improvement works should be covered by a guarantee - check your paperwork to find out if you're covered and how to complain.

Complain to your energy supplier

You can complain to the energy supplier who funded the work if you're still unhappy. You can also complain to Ombudsman Services for energy if you have concerns about how you have been treated by an energy supplier.

  • Manuals

    Access our comprehensive library of manuals for a wide selection of manufacturers for boilers, heat pumps, solar thermals and gas fires.

    View all manuals
  • Find an Installer

    Search our national database of Benchmark-registered heating installers.

    Find an installer
  • Heating Advice

    Our Heating Advice section is a library of questions we have been asked and our responses. Visit our Heating Advice section to see if we can help with your query.

    View heating advice

Latest from HHIC:

RT @energyutilities: As consumers weigh up their options for a new heating system during this cold snap, what can we do about unrealistic,…

Follow us