Need Help?

Need help with an existing system?

View Manuals

Green Deal

Share this article:

1. Overview

The Green Deal helps you make energy-saving improvements to your home and find the best way to pay for them.

The improvements that could save you the most energy depend on your home, but typical examples include:

  • insulation - eg solid wall, cavity wall or loft insulation
  • heating
  • draught-proofing
  • double glazing
  • renewable energy generation - eg solar panels or heat pumps

Find out if your home will benefit

There are various ways to check if your property could benefit from energy-saving improvements:

The Green Deal may be right for you if you think your property could benefit from energy-saving improvements.

Energy Saving Advice Service
0300 123 1234
Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm
Saturday, 10am to 2pm

Home Energy Scotland
0808 808 2282
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 5pm

The Green Deal is not available in Northern Ireland.

Green Deal mark

All Green Deal organisations must be authorised - look for the quality mark.

You can also check if a Green Deal company is genuine.

2. Improvements and benefits to your home

Any household with an electricity meter (including prepayment meters) in England, Scotland or Wales can use the scheme.

Both the landlord and the tenant must agree to the improvements if the building is rented.

Eligible improvements

You can use the Green Deal for a range of different measures including insulation, heating, windows and products that generate energy, but only if your Green Deal assessment recommends them.

3. Get an assessment

You must get an assessment of your property to use the Green Deal. Contact a Green Deal assessor or ask a Green Deal provider to find an assessor for you.

You may have to pay for an assessment. The assessor must tell you the fee in advance.

What to expect from an assessment

Green Deal assessor will visit your home, talk to you about your property and your energy use and help decide if you could benefit from Green Deal improvements.

When you book

You may be asked if:

  • you own or rent the property
  • your home is a listed building, in a conservation area, built before 1900 or constructed in a non-traditional way
  • there are access issues, eg access to your loft
  • you can provide bills showing your recent energy use

When the assessor visits

You may be asked:

  • the number of people living in your home
  • the type of heating and appliances you use
  • how often you use your heating
  • what energy-saving measures are already installed

After the visit

You'll get a document, called a Green Deal advice report, that contains:

  • an Energy Performance Certificate that rates your home for energy efficiency
  • an occupancy assessment that measures how much energy you and other occupiers are using
  • improvements your assessor recommends
  • the money you could save on your annual energy bills
  • whether the improvements will pay for themselves through reduced energy costs

A Green Deal advice report is valid for 10 years, or until you make changes or energy saving improvements to the property, eg you build an extension or change the windows.

The actual savings will depend on how much energy you use and the future cost of energy.

What to do next

You decide:

4. Getting the work done

How you decide to get the work done will affect your options for how you pay for the work.

After you get a Green Deal advice report, you can:

Some companies provide all the services for a Green Deal package - assessment, finance and installation. You can choose to use a different company for each service.

Get a quote

Give a provider or installer your Green Deal advice report.

Providers will give you a quote and arrange the installers for you. Installers will quote to do the work themselves. A quote from a provider will include the repayment terms if you are paying with a finance plan.

You can get more than 1 quote and you can choose which improvements you want.

You can ask the provider or installer if you or your property qualify to combine the Green Deal with these other schemes:

  • Energy Company Obligation (ECO) - help from your energy company to improve your home if you're on certain benefits or a low income, or for certain hard-to-treat properties
  • Feed-in Tariffs - payments from your energy provider if you generate your own electricity (ie through solar panels or a wind turbine)
  • Renewable Heat Premium Payment - money to help with the cost of installing renewable heating technologies in your home
  • any scheme run by your Local Authority - contact your Local Authority for information

You can also contact the Energy Saving Advice Service or Energy Saving Scotland.

Agree the work

Pick the provider or installer you want to do the work.

The provider will write you a contract called a Green Deal finance plan if you choose to pay with Green Deal finance. The plan will contain:

  • an outline of the work that will be done
  • any financial help you can get from other schemes
  • the repayments and interest rate
  • information on other incentives you can access, eg Feed-in Tarrifs and cashback
  • information on warranties and guarantees

After the work

Your Green Deal repayments will be automatically added to your electricity bill if you have chosen to take Green Deal finance.


You can complain about your Green Deal.

5. How to pay and get cashback

You can pay in advance, get a Green Deal finance plan, or use other schemes to fund the work. You can also combine the ways to pay.

You may also be able to get cashback.

Getting a Green Deal finance plan

Finance plans are offered by approved Green Deal providers.

Give your Green Deal assessment to providers you want to get a quote from.

Your provider will find an installer for you.

You can only get a finance plan for improvements recommended in your Green Deal assessment.

Each provider must tell you:

  • how much you'll pay back
  • how long you'll pay for

What you can borrow and how much you'll pay

You can get finance for an amount based on what you'll be expected to save on your energy bills.

The annual repayments on the loan shouldn't be more than the savings you might make on your energy bills.

There's no set interest rate. Your interest rate will be determined by the amount of your finance plan. Check with your provider for rates and fees.

The interest rate is fixed for the full term of the plan so your repayments will be fixed.

How you pay

You pay back the loan through a charge added to your electricity bill. A small amount will be taken from the meter each day if you have a prepayment meter.

This is because that the Green Deal stays with the property. If you move, you no longer benefit from the improvements and therefore stop paying for them.

You can pay off your Green Deal early, but you might be charged a fee - check with your provider.


You may be able to claim back money from the government if you make energy-saving improvements to your home under the Green Deal. Not all improvements qualify.

You can use the cashback scheme if you're a homeowner, tenant or landlord in England and Wales and you pay for improvements through the Green Deal. The cashback scheme is open for applications until 30 June 2014.

From early June 2014, the new Green Deal Home Improvement Fund will be available. To find out more about the new fund, contact the Energy Saving Advice Service.

Energy Saving Advice Service 
Telephone: 0300 123 1234
Find out more about call charges

You can only get cashback on the improvements recommended in your Green Deal assessment.

There's a different scheme in Scotland.

How cashback works

  1. Get a Green Deal assessment on your property.

  2. Get and agree quotes from a Green Deal provider who is registered with the cashback scheme.

  3. Complete the work within 3 months (or 6 months for solid wall).

All work must be completed by 30 September 2014 for you to be eligible for cashback.

You get a cashback payment when the provider confirms the work has been done and your Energy Performance Certificate has been updated.

How to apply

Check if you can get cashback and apply on the Green Deal cashback website.

6. Moving into a property with a Green Deal

If you move into a property with a Green Deal, the landlord or seller must show you a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate. This will explain what improvements have been made and how much you'll need to repay.

The person who pays the electricity bill pays the money back.

You can change electricity supplier if the new supplier is participating in the Green Deal.

Get more information

Contact the Green Deal provider if you have specific questions about the improvements, warranties or repayments.

You can get general information from Energy Savings Advice Service if you're in England or Wales, or Home Energy Scotland if you're in Scotland.

Energy Saving Advice Service 
0300 123 1234 Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm Saturday, 10am to 2pm

Home Energy Scotland
0808 808 2282 
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 5pm

Find out more about call charges.


  • Manuals

    Access our comprehensive library of manuals for a wide selection of manufacturers for boilers, heat pumps, solar thermals and gas fires.

    View all manuals
  • Find an Installer

    Search our national database of Benchmark-registered heating installers.

    Find an installer
  • Heating Advice

    Our Heating Advice section is a library of questions we have been asked and our responses. Visit our Heating Advice section to see if we can help with your query.

    View heating advice

Latest from HHIC:

RT @energyutilities: As consumers weigh up their options for a new heating system during this cold snap, what can we do about unrealistic,…

Follow us